Senior Quantity Surveyor
Watford / Edmonton
£60,000 - £70,000
An exciting opportunity has arisen with one of my clients, a prestigoius tier one contractor, to work on a major water framework as they are seeking to attract an experienced Senior Quantity Surveyor with a strong civils background.
Responsible to a Project Manager or Commercial Manager for all commercial aspects of a project or a section of a project. Ensure that my clients commercial position is protected using in depth understanding and experience of contractual, commercial, insurance and legal processes. Some responsibility for effective client relationship management to encourage smooth commercial progression of the contract(s)
Your other responsibilities will be:
- Understand the impact of commercial and technical changes at strategic level within the customer’s business industry / sector.
- Anticipate and plans change in commercial resource within a project.
- Assist the business/project in achieving the objectives/targets set in my clients Carbon Strategy within your specific work activities.
Tendering and Pre-Contract Activities
- Provide commercial support to tendering process when required.
Start Up of New Projects
- High degree of understanding and working knowledge of project start up procedures and is actively involved in the implementation of those procedures when required.
- Prepare the basis of the project procurement schedule and ensures the team contribute and complete their relevant sections.
- Carry out subcontract procurement in accordance with the procurement timetable, in accordance with my clients procurement policy.
- Ensure that materials and off site services are procured in an efficient manner with capable organisations in accordance with my clients procurement policy and procedures and ensure appropriate records are kept.
- Prepare the basis of robust work package contents sheets and ensures the project team contribute and complete their relevant sections. Carries out gap analysis between packages to ensure full and complete subcontract procurement takes place.
- Prepare subcontract invitations to tender and evaluate tender returns (time, cost, quality and SHE) and make recommendations to appoint and places subcontracts, all in accordance with the my clients Procurement process.
- Work with supply chain to promote and measure continuous improvement in terms of cost, quality and learning of all parties
Applications for Payment and Invoicing
- Maximise cash flow through timely preparation of valuations, submission of invoices and receipt of payment.
- Manage prompt preparation and settlement of final accounts, including variations, claims and disputes.
- Develop a strategy for concluding client negotiations.
- Identify, manage, reduce and drive out unnecessary costs and inefficient activities.
- Prepare material wastage reconciliations.
- Monitor resources and costs to ensure that projects meet and / or exceed targets, including but not limited to the scheduling of labour resources.
- Review plant and equipment schedules to ensure efficiency of use.
Accounting and Reporting
- Production of accurate and timely CVR reports and forecasts.
- Establish and maintain accurate and robust reporting structures and monitor resources and costs to ensure that projects meet and / or exceed targets.
- Use a high-level understanding of planning and programming, and a detailed knowledge of financial reporting to provide challenge to the rest of the project team to ensure robust and honest progress reporting.
Risk and Opportunity Management
- Early identification of project risks and opportunities, ensuring that risks and opportunities are managed, and risk and opportunity registers are in use to minimise risks and realise opportunities.
- Ensure that any “Change” is identified through participation in regular and detailed review of construction information, measured against the contract requirements.
- Ensure that all “Change” is challenged where the performance of the project could be affected.
- Ensure that the cost (time, and money) of all client “Change” is recovered.
- Carry out early value engineering activities as part of the project team, ensuring all associated costs of change are included within the evaluation.
Programming and Project Controls
- Assist and provide advice on programmes regarding contractual and commercial requirements to mitigate risk, and maximize opportunity.
- Ensure the project team understands the contractual relationships between the various parties and "stakeholders", including my clients contractual obligations in relation to those interested parties, with particular emphasis to Conditions Precedent.
- Ensure that all necessary contractual notices are put in place, timely and accurately and in accordance with the my clients contractual obligations.
- Prepare all necessary subcontract notices accurately and on time.
- Prepare subcontract instructions.
- Put in place and adhere to robust subcontract change control procedures.
- Prepare timely and accurate payments for authorization.
- Manage prompt preparation and settlement of final accounts, including Compensation Events (variations), claims and disputes.
- Re-measurement and provision of quantified schedules of works and / or bills of quantities.
- Ensure on-site quantification of unfixed materials and quantification of off-site materials where necessary.
- Checking of daywork sheets or time and material records.
- Close out project efficiently using a high degree of understanding and working knowledge of project close out processes.
- Ensuring appropriate records and information are kept and archived.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience - Procurement experience and track record essential. Disciplines include Civils, Earthworks, remediation, bridges and structures (RC etc), utilities.
- Degree in Quantity Surveying
- Experinece with another contractor
- Must have right to work in the UK
- IT literate
- CSCS card
- Ideally a member of an institution - MRICS / ICES (Desired but not required)