Job Title: Senior Design Manager (Construction Tier 1)
Location: East Midlands (Leicestershire / Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire)
Job Type: Permanent role
Salary: £60,000 to £75,000 Per Annum + Strong Package (Negotiable on relevant experience)
Our client, a large, established and growing principal contractor within the Construction sector, is currently looking for a Senior Design Manager to join their team on a permanent basis. This role will be focus on construction projects in the East Midlands, with occasional work on projects in the West Midlands area.
This role will entail managing and coordinating the design of construction (non-civil) projects, from tender stage, right thorough to the completion of the construction stage design information and production of O&M Manuals. Typically, you will work on construction projects both small and large, with projects typically valued between £1 Million - £50 Million. On smaller projects you will be officed based, working on up to three projects at a time and visiting projects as necessary. On larger key projects you will initially be based in the office before moving onto a project full time, to work alongside the rest of the project team.
The role would suit an ambitious Design Manager who can be accountable/responsible for all design and technical aspects of a project, ensuring that the scheme it is delivered on budget and to programme. This will entail the effective management of both internal and external parties, where effective communication skills will be a key. The successful Design Manager will ensure that all schemes adopt a 'best value' approach, minimising cost, maximising value and exposing opportunity.
You will report to the Regional Pre-construction Manager and will be expected to work in partnership with the Bid Manager, Project Manager and the project teams, depending on the size, nature and complexity of the project. You may be required to take the lead design management role, supervising a design manager and/or document controller or alternative supporting a Senior Design Manager on a larger project.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Managing the design team and any design subcontractors throughout tender and construction periods.
- Chairing design team meetings and workshops as appropriate, to manage the design development process.
- Producing, reviewing and updating design programmes, monitor risk and querying technical aspects.
- Using document management system, dependent on client needs.
- Appraising tender documentation to identify design risks and opportunities, developing solutions accordingly.
- Vetting and appointing the design team: Ensuring terms and conditions are acceptable, and that the lead designer role is defined and all appropriate services are included.
- Working alongside preconstruction and project teams to ensure design portion subcontract enquiries are robust and responses provide a value for money compliant solution.
- Reviewing design on an ongoing basis, identifying potential interface, buildability and coordination issues.
- Resolving any design issues with the project team and specialist subcontractors.
- Developing innovative design solutions with the design team and supply chain including the production of high quality value engineering solutions.
- Managing client relationships, subcontractors and professional teams, to resolve any design queries.
- Assisting with bid management activities including:
- Developing design programmes and IRS schedules for inclusion within the overall tender programme.
- Developing risk and VE schedules, that can then be robustly costed.
- Writing design management based technical responses, for the tender submission.
- Coordinating the production of design information, to be included in the tender submission.
- Attending post tender interviews as part of the project team, including the development of all necessary supporting documentation
Candidates will ideally:
- Have previous experience working in a similar role, as a Design Manager or Senior Design Manager, on relevant construction projects (education, medical, commercial projects etc), undertaking design management activities through tender and construction stages.
- Hold a relevant qualification in Civil Engineering or Construction (i.e. Degree/HND/HNC or equivalent).
- Have strong knowledge of legislation and regulations used within the Construction industry.
- Experience working on Framework projects, as well as open market tenders, including single, two stage and negotiated contracts.
- Strong IT skills including the use of AutoCAD design software.
- Strong management ability, including clear communication skills.
- Chartership status or be working towards Chartership status. (Advantageous not required).
- Strong technical knowledge of architectural, structural, civil and building services design solutions.
- Experience of developing a broad range of substructure design and structural frame solutions.
- Good knowledge of current CDM and Building Regulations.
- A good understanding of BREEAM and Planning application processes, discharging conditions.
- Strong I.T, communication, relationship building, planning, organisation and problem-solving skills.
For more information, or to apply for this role, please contact Tim Smyth on 0121 200 5520.