Job Title: Project Manager Rail
Location: Birmingham / West Midlands
Sectors: Rail, Stations, Temporary Works, Civil Engineering
Job Type: Permanent role
Salary: £60,000 to £70,000 Per Annum + Strong Package (Negotiable on relevant experience)
Our client, a large, established and growing principal contractor within the Rail & Civil Engineering sector, is currently looking to add a Project Manager to their Rail team, on a permanent basis.
The initial focus of this role will be to deliver a key £5+ Million rail project within the Birmingham area and future projects will range from £5 Million to £50 Million. The first project will entail delivering upgrades to steel and cladding on a live rail station, which includes a sizeable temporary works package, so candidate will ideally have experience of managing both direct and specialist subcontractor staff.
The will suit with a Project Manager or a Senior Site Agent who is ready to progress to Project Management level.
You will lead technically challenging projects (small/medium), or work on a larger projects, taking responsibility for the delivery of a section of works. You will be the senior site leader and have overall responsibility for the delivery of projects, including but not be limited to financial performance, with the support of a Quantity Surveyor.
You will co-ordinate all aspects of the Contract, Preconstruction, Design Procurement and Build functions, to ensure that the project meets the client’s expectations, also ensuring work is carried out in accordance with internal HSQE policies. You will prepare and maintain the programme of works and manage risk vs reward accordingly, to add value or enhance profit where possible, achieved through the delivery of the project.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Managing suppliers/subcontractors on site, with experience of stakeholder management (Rail).
- Prepare programme of work, method statements, contract programmes
- Ensuring HSQE Plans and project resources reflect project scope and programme, including temporary works.
- Instruct the relevant Quantity Surveyor to agree preliminary items expenditure, plant and accommodation etc.
- Chairing start-up & production meetings (working with the Regional Director to allocate team members).
- Advising statutory and other authorities of the site start date, preparing draft preliminaries and other reports.
- Leading all aspect of Project Team functions:
- Risk & Commercial Success, Financials, Processes, HSEQS, Stakeholder Management.
- Project Administration, Design Management & Project Close Out.
- Through team members, managing external consultants and subcontract design, including BIM strategy.
- Compiling and implementing Project Execution Plans.
- Managing information flow and information required schedules.
- Preparing contract reports with the Quantity Surveyor, providing updates to monthly cost meetings.
- Reviewing buildability and identifying the most effective construction methods (Commercial or Programme).
- Overseeing and managing design appointments (Where applicable)
- Protecting the companies contractual position, including correspondence, information and/or notices required.
- Taking responsibility for executing and planning, creating strong working HSQE behaviours.
- Agreeing programmes with subcontractors and monitor progress with the relevant Site Manager.
- Preparing applications for extensions of time in conjunction with the Quantity Surveyor.
- Identifying outstanding works for programme completion, ensuring timely delivery.
- Preparing and delivering the CVR/monthly reports as required.
- Managing S/C including S/C progress meetings and S/C pre-order meetings, Post Construction.
- Obtain defects list and remedy any items, for the Certificate of Making Good Defects.
- Instructing Quantity Surveyor for preparation of Loss and Expense Applications for Final Account information.
- Managing and controlling operating budgets.
- Approving expenditure, appointing/managing/changing sub-contractors, with sign-off of monthly reports.
Candidates will ideally have:
- A relevant qualification in Rail / Civil Engineering or Construction (i.e. Degree/HND/HNC or equivalent).
- Previous experience working in a similar role, as a Project Manager or Senior Agent, on relevant Rail Construction schemes etc. (I.e. Rail Stations etc - Values £10M and above are ideal).
- Experience of managing temporary works (Support from TWC available).
- Working knowledge of Design and Build JCT, NEC and Network Rail contracts, as well as with BREEAM/LEED
- Relevant qualifications such as CSCS, SMSTS, PTS, CDM etc
- Additional qualifications desirable include: Temporary Works, NEBOSH/IOSH etc.
- Broad appreciation of multiple disciplines within the rail sector, with demonstrable inception to completion / end to end Programme Management experience.
- Commercial awareness, People / Team Management and subcontractor management skills.
- A strong knowledge of HSQE legislation and standards.
For more information, or to apply for this role, please contact Tim Smyth on 0121 200 5520.