The Construction Manager (CM) will oversee all aspects of the works on a construction site and ensure the controls and procedures for the works are carried our correctly to ensure compliance with HSE guidance and CDM regulations. To ensure company SHEQ policy and procedures are implemented across the site, lower tier management and site operatives.
The CM will report to the Project Manager or in some cases depending on the size of the project the Operations Manager / Operations Director. They will be responsible for managing the works being undertaken on our sites. The CM will oversee all aspects of the supply chains work on site and be responsible for, ensuring the day to day activities, site safety inductions / briefings are carried out for all personnel regular tool box talks are carried out adequate controls are in place to ensure a high quality of work is produced ensuring method statement / risk assessment compliance, cleanliness & tidiness the appropriate use of plant and tools, waste reduction upkeep of plant and facilities ensuring appropriate use of personal protective equipment is in place.
Duties & Responsibilities
• The CM will report to the Project Manager and or the Operations Director/ Manager
• Be fully aware, understand and implement the requirements and standard, to yourself and others, of the company’s current Safety, Health, Environmental & quality policy
• Be responsible for updating your personal information, project and site information
• At all times, demonstrate integrity, to act professionally and promote the company’s best standards, values and practices
• Results-focused and driven deliver their sections of work to high quality
• Adopts forward-looking approach and critically appraises information and situations thereby anticipating and pre-empting problems before they occur
• Assertive, authoritative and confident in own ability and their decisions
• Invites and is open to other people’s views, ideas and feedback to best possible solutions/outcomes for project and Glencar
• Leads by example, e.g. adopts collaborative and respectful approach towards others and gets own hands dirty when necessary
• Emotionally intelligent, i.e. understands how to adapt communication style and behaviour to different audiences and situations
• Has strong analytical aptitude and drive to solve problems to minimise risk to Glencar and ensure project’s profitability
• Keen to continuously improve own knowledge and skills pro-actively seeking feedback on performance
Duties & Responsibilities
• Be focused on delivering ultimate Customer satisfaction – we prioritise excellent customer service, challenging internal and external situations, always striving for a win-win solution.
• Ensure that the project set up complies with the company SHEQ policies and procedures
• Ensure the Construction Phase Plan is administered in accordance with company SHEQ policy
• Ensure that all supply chain working on the project understand & administer correctly the SHEQ requirements of the company
• Ensure that the project achieves the company standard in relation to Health, Safety , Environment and Quality inspections and audits
• Maintain accurate and up to date records for site attendance, site induction, tool box talks, accidents, goods received, weekly site records, site safety inspections, plant register records, scaffold report records (including all activities which fall under LOLER, PUWER, WAH and similar) and all staff related forms / administration
• Applying sound knowledge and understanding of the CDM regulations and all HSE guidance
• To work to the Company’s Quality, Environmental and Safety Management System standards and performance criteria including delivering the objectives set
• Ensure suitable and sufficient risk assessments are conducted considering both colleagues and contractors/customers and introduce measures to reduce the risks to as low a level as reasonably practicable
• Ensure that all works carried out are undertaken within current codes of practice and that works are to the required high standard
• Check that all materials used, including those used by sub-contractors, are compliant with technical and quality specifications and are compliant with the Employers Requirements for the contract / specifications issued
• Ensure subcontractor relationships are maintained at the highest level
• Ensure that subcontractors are aware of their responsibilities in terms of quality, health, safety, environmental etc.
• Ensure subcontracts are appraised
• Ensure records of supply chain QA are monitored in accordance with the project QMS
• Ensure records are kept and maintained of supply chain attendance & progress of their works
• Ensure that short term programmes and DABS are implemented accordingly.
• Able to visualise project specification and drawings, and interpreting programmes produced in Asta PowerProject.
• Able to identify any risks and opportunities based on the information provided may need guidance from senior team members on how to prevent risk or realise opportunities
• Ensure that progress is optimised to ensure the earliest delivery date
• Manage plant & equipment on site & ensure all necessary registers & documents are maintained.
• Ensure the daily pedestrian and traffic management systems are implemented and checked daily.
• Communicate effectively at all times with the client, client’s representative, project architect, project engineer, local authorities and all persons affected by the project
• Attend and takes accurate notes of any meetings relevant to the project, either on site or in offices and these minutes are shared accordingly
• Ensure prelim expenditure is managed and overspend managed and reported accordingly.
• Be aware of the project expenditure in general
• Ensure lower tier staff are aware of their roles and responsibilities
• Ensure staff are aware of their role within the project team
• Effectively manage the performance of the construction team
• Maximise staff morale
• Maximise staff output
• Developing and mentoring staff
• Ensure effective and appropriate communication
• Investigate and capitalise on repeat business opportunities on live sites
• Ensuring site is organised well from presentation, to planning and organising, traffic and pedestrian management, security, fire and emergency controls, effective management of the workforce, and supply chain
• To maintain and nurture strong relationships with external parties providing mutual benefits and promote teamwork and co-operation across all departments internally to maximise team and business goals
• To encourage and support your team in enhancing their performance by providing direction, regular feedback and development opportunities
• Any other duties consistent with the role of Construction Manager as may be required from time to time.
• A degree (or equivalent) in Construction Management, Building Management, or extensive related experience
• Minimum of 5 years relevant industry experience
• Experience of overseeing Assistant Construction Managers across numerous sites
• Awareness of and adherence to company policies and health and safety requirements
• Experience gained in complex and geographically dispersed construction or built environment businesses
• Ability to undertake project planning, project management and work to budgets
• Commitment to continual learning to refine, further develop and apply expertise to add distinctive value to the Company
• Experience of successfully embedding change in an organisation
• Excellent IT skills – proficient in suite of Microsoft programmes (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• General ability to use use Asta programme software
• Exceed expectations by challenging ways of working to establish new and innovative approaches that create sustainable value
• Commercially astute with a strong understanding of the construction process
• A self-starter able to demonstrate high levels of initiative, tenacity and self-motivation and be comfortable working with a high degree of autonomy
• Has strong problem solving and considered decision-making skills
• Methodical, analytical and organised with an attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to work under pressure
• Able to build effective relationships across the business and externally at all levels
• Strong motivation to mentor and upskill junior team members
• Personable and effective team player
• Open to feedback with a willingness to learn and improve.
- Location: Nottingham
- Salary: £70k - 90k per year + Package
- Job Type:Permanent
Posted 26 days ago
- Sector: Construction, Civil Engineering
- Contact: Nathaniel Drew
- Contact Email: Nathaniel.Drew@anderselite.com
- Contact Phone: 0121 200 5520
- Expiry Date: 15 June 2023
- Job Ref: 402178NDR