My client is looking to appoint an Estimator on a permanent basis. My client is a multi-award winning, 5 star rated, volume house builder which operates across the UK with this role being based out of their Cambridge office.
As an Estimator, you will work as part of the wider Commercial team and be responsible for preparing whole development budgets, estimates and cashflows from pre-land purchase to final budget estimate, prior to the handover to the Quantity Surveying and Buying teams.
- Represent the Estimating team at cross-departmental discussions and be able to communicate and strategies at all levels in respect of cost related matters
- Assist in the preparation of cash flows for management accounts and forecasting purposes,providing a cost advisory and investigation service to senior management
- In advance of a land purchase, you will prepare construction land budgets for the Land Manager to evaluate the site, assisting the Land Manager/Sales Team to determine the best house mix for the site
- Evaluate risks and cost of construction abnormals in formulating the budget, discussing and reviewing specifications in association with the relevant departments prior to the land bid
- Post the purchase of land, you will propose improved economical design and engineeringsolutions for the team to consider, including new building methods and products
- Assist the Commercial Manager in reviewing new product specification suitable for development, preparing comments on preliminary layouts.
- Liaise with the Development department regarding best solutions for house type designs and internal layouts, preparing Planning Packs which ensure the feasibility reflects all changes and financial implications
- Ahead of start on site, you will prepare budget packs, liaising with all departments to ensure all latest material, preliminaries, subcontracts, sales, and development costs are included in the financial review
- You will be responsible for providing budgetary framework to assist the Surveyors/Buyers in their financial control of the development post start on site
Key skills, experience, and qualifications
- You will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role elsewhere and be knowledgeable in all areas of construction techniques and mixed-tenure schemes
- A high level of mathematical ability and problem-solving skills, with a methodical and logical approach to your work; a proficient use of Microsoft Excel is essential for the role
- You will have excellent attention to detail and accuracy, coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills
- You will have a thorough understanding of Estimating and Surveying, with a specific and indepth knowledge of preparing realistic construction budgets
- A good understanding of strategic objectives and targeting financial return, with the ability to understand and manipulate complex financial models
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, with the use of Microsoft Excel at an advanced level an essential requirement
- You will have a good understanding of Developer Cost Control principles
- BSc in Quantity Surveying, or at least a minimum of a HND in Building Studies or equivalent
On offer is an excellent basic salary, car package, pension. Healthcare scheme and flexible working options. This is an excellent opportunity to join a business that can provide long term stability and opportunity as well as a superb working environment.
For more information on the role please contact Paul Wilkinson on 07747441156 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org