Environmental Manager - construction/civil engineering - Hertfordshire - £50-£60k+benefits
Reporting to the Director of one or more projects/business unit.
Responsible for taking the lead in creating a culture of best practice environmental performance and excellent standards for project(s).
To initiate and maintain systems to review and monitor compliance with BS EN ISO 14001 and other company/divisional standards.
Setting the Standard
* Considers strategic environmental risks for the project and assess these against the project programme as part of a wider risk review
* Helps develop robust and comprehensive mitigation measures to deal with environmental risks, working collaboratively with the production team
* Produce, review and update the Project Environmental Management Plan - EMP (and associated plans) on a regular basis
* Evaluates the effectiveness of the implementation of the EMP on a regular basis
* Produce and communicate environmental risks, control measures and procedures
* Is fully aware of all current and future environmental legislation and has a working knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation
* Defines the project applicable legislation and works as part of the team to ensure compliance.
* Continually seeks to improve the working environment and project systems to ensure compliance and takes effective action in response to any breach
* Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders and client representatives to ensure collaborative working relationships
* Understand the financial implications of decisions affecting environmental issues (e.g. waste costs, landfill tax etc.) and seek to ensure best financial outcome for business
* Full understanding of the conditions of contract, as they relate to environmental issues
* Assess supply chain capability in delivering continuous improvement in environmental standards and support the SC as required to achieve this, as well as VINCI standards
* Continually seeks to improve the working environment and project systems to ensure compliance and takes effective action in response to any breach.
* Lead a programme of environmental awareness on the project through briefings, poster campaigns and other communication methods
* Promote and actively participate in knowledge share events and lessons learned from other projects on environmental issues
* Chair monthly environmental forum (for all projects under responsibility) as well as coordinating an environmental training programme
* Chair six-monthly project(s) Environmental Management Systems review
* Determine environmental team structure, including supporting roles, and clearly communicate all roles and responsibilities to duty holders. This may involve multiple projects.
* Support and develop the project(s) environmental team
* Ensure effective management of 3rd parties including designers and consultants
Monitoring and Reporting
* Ensure that the Project Environmental Management System is implemented and operated on site through a programme of checking and audit. Implements corrective actions and follows up any trends with the Senior Management Team
* Collate information from site and use to report on the project(s) environmental performance
* Be aware of the company/divisional targets for environmental performance and establish the strategy to achieve them within the business unit or project.
* Manage and oversee monitoring equipment, collect, process and interpret data (e.g. water, dust, noise, waste)
* Report on the sites environmental monitoring as required by the Project Environmental Plan and report findings to the Project Manager.
* Manage onsite Environmental Site inspections, highlighting any bad and good practice to the relevant teams and Senior Management
* Record and report all incidents to all relevant parties and instigate any corrective actions required.
* Prepare monthly environmental reports for the project, including completion of company/client and divisional reporting systems data systems
* Regularly report progress (including achievements) against environmental compliance, and environmental targets to the whole team
* Set environmental targets for the project to achieve the company targets, and translate and communicate to the team as key performance indicators
* Liaises with the community liaison officer and Client's representative regarding complaints from third parties on noise, dust and or other environmental issues. Depending on project specific requirements, takes the lead in implementing a programme of community/stakeholder commitments and implementation plan
* Have a detailed knowledge of construction methods, trades, plant, equipment, and practices, and, in particular, the environmental impact associated with each.
* Have a practical knowledge of how to adapt construction methods to deliver targets
Occupation Competency Card:Relevant
Environmental Degree or similar
Experience of large scale linear civils contracts and managing their various environmental hazards
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.