DLR - Engineering Manager
Job Role - Engineering Manager
Project - DLR Extension Scheme
Location - East London
Summary of Role:
Leading all engineering aspects on large projects, including construction methodology, temporary works design and implementation, design management of permanent works, surveying, BIM. Coordinating these functions to ensure that the optimal solution is delivered to meet the client's requirements.
Reports directly to the Operations Director. Also accountable to the Head of Engineering. The EM will be expected to act as a voice of reason, often taking responsibility for safety critical aspects of the work. In a Network Rail environment they would be the Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) or Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE).
Tasks & Responsibilities:
* Lead in defining measures to ensure the works are conducted in accordance with all HS&E legislation and the site Health Safety and Environmental Plans.
* Ensure that risk assessments and method statements are maintained and address all safety measures required by the design.
* Ensure robust temporary works procedures are implemented on the project.
* Leads in the on-site inspection process, establishes rota, and takes responsibility for critical activities.
* Leads in establishing an environment that seeks opportunities for improvement, to overcome problem and to mitigate risk.
* Lead Engineering team including Temporary Works Co-ordinator, Design Manager, BIM Manager, surveying team, MEP Manager.
* Leads and collates the output of knowledge share events.
* Provides specialist engineering advice to tender teams.
* Advises on development of construction methodology to ensure optimal engineering solution is reached.
* Initiates and oversees Value Engineering activities to identify quickest and most economical solution to delivering project requirements.
* Fully aware of the resource required to effectively complete a section of work.
* Monitors progress of works to review impact of changing conditions on agreed methodology, temp works design etc.
* Capable of putting together cost estimates for sections of work.
* Understands the commercial implications of decisions.
* Creates environment in which project team is encouraged to take a holistic approach to appraising and utilising engineering systems.
* Actively engages in the creative and innovative development of engineering technologies and procedures. Promotes innovative solutions within the team and across the group.
* Actively targets opportunities to exceed customer expectations.
* Rapidly identifies opportunities to challenge provided information to the project's benefit.
* Identifies challenges at tender stage and defines methodologies that overcome these to deliver a safe and cost-effective solution that delivers the programme.
* Manages the development of complex designs requiring multi-disciplinary and specialist input.
* Oversees development of project strategy to harness BIM technologies to mitigate risk and increase profit. Oversees implementation of BIM Execution Plan.
* Knowledge of Employment Legislation.
* Knowledge of Industrial Relations.
* Understands that this is not just a one-off job but actively pursues progress through regular 1-2-1's.
* Confidently makes decisions to guide the team based on engineering judgment and with knowledge of the full range of impacts.
* Clearly presents and articulates as necessary to resolve problems, develop solutions, innovations, provide tool box talks etc.
* Effectively contributes and chairs meetings with subcontractors, designers and third parties to further the project.
* Appreciates the public's needs and reacts to provide solutions that meet these needs and further the project.
* Participates in site visits, briefings as necessary to promote the project and company.
* Actively manages own development and that of the team for example through participation in ICE / CIOB activities, mentoring as DE or SCE etc.
* Deals with all situations in a calm and controlled manner. Does not react emotionally but steps back and considers.
- Proven experience of Engineering leadership in complex projects.
- Relevant rail experience as CRE or CEM is desired.
- Relevant Engineering qualification
- Member of relevant body such as ICE, RICs, etc.
To apply for this role please get in touch with Matt Purkis from Anderselite
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.