Job Title: Design Manager (Construction)
Start Date: Q1 2021
Sectors: Construction, Multi-Storey Buildings, Student Accommodation, City Centre Developments
Job Type: Permanent role
Salary: Circa £50,000 to £60,000 + Per Annum + Package (Salary negotiable on relevant experience)
Our client, a growing Construction Contractor who operate within the Build sector, is currently recruiting a Design Manager on a permanent basis, to help deliver upcoming construction projects, typically valued between £2 Million and £30 Million (or above). They are looking for someone who can work as part of their Design and Build team, who can manage and the deliver their design process, ensuring works are commercially and technically viable, and within current construction legislation and standards.
In this role, you will work on a variety of projects from complex multi-storey city centre developments through to specialist refurbishment schemes, within challenging live environments, delivering both private and public sector projects.
Daily duties will include but are not limited to:
- Managing the delivery of construction information, to facilitate the achievement of the required project cost, programme and quality.
- Ensuring that the requirements of the customer are understood and reflected in the actions of the design team.
- Generating clear information schedules that provide competent design information data, enabling the production of feasible construction programmes.
- Providing the design team with clear schedules and overall direction, using schedules as a tool for monitoring the delivery of design information.
- Working with the wider team, including commercial and project management staff, to ensure that the design team are fully briefed on, and adhere to, design cost constraints and design cost allowances. (Designing to cost not costing to design).
- Maintaining a record of any design variations.
- Briefing the design team on any preferences for the design content, particularly relating to construction buildability, sequencing, product selection and company learning (i.e. Designer Briefing Notes).
- Managing the generation of the 'Design element', of the Contractor's Proposals (or submission documentation), in order to define the content offered.
- Ensuring co-ordinated and approved information is used for construction, and that the design team achieves an integrated design, aiming for "right first time".
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary preconstruction design team that includes estimators and production managers as well traditional consultants.
- Ensuring that alternatives have been considered in terms of designs, products and methods, to provide best value, internally, and externally to the client.
- Ensuring that the risks associated with the project have been assessed, and actions taken to ensure the design and subsequent construction are right first time.
- Chairing design team meetings, to discuss related information, ensuring that the design information is passed to all interested parties as the design progresses.
- Management of risks & opportunities, with the Bid Management & Project Management team.
- Ensuring the integration of subcontractors with design responsibility into the process (programme and design content).
- Generating project specific and design team responsibility matrices, also producing the design team's appointment documentation.
Candidates will ideally:
- Hold a relevant qualification in Design / Engineering / Construction (or similar).
- Have a strong working knowledge of Design & Build Construction projects, ideally having successfully delivered projects valued between £2 Million and £30 Million (or above).
- Have strong experience managing a Design Team, for Construction Contractors.
- Have a strong technical understanding of construction techniques.
For more information or to apply for the role, please contact Tim Smyth on LinkedIn or via
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.