Job title - Buyer
My client, a medium sized busy national civil engineering contractor. This business has a strong track record within the delivery of major infrastructure projects up to the value of £15m. They are regarded as true specialist within civil engineering sector.
Position: Buyer Reporting to: Group Procurement Manager
To drive competitive advantage of the the companies buying function, by sourcing and negotiating best value to sustainably service embedding a customer first approach. Setup, agree and implement formal agreements throughout the supply chain. Implement procedures to driver operational efficiency within the function. Forecast alongside relevant departments to ensure supply continuity. Drive and direct critical activities with defined suppliers to ensure that deliveries of the contracted product or services are at the contracted time, that site material requirements are evaluated, all transactions run to plan from order to payment in accordance with the Company’s QA procedure.
· Comply with health and safety legislation. Ensure duty of care is shown and take appropriate action to comply with health and safety requirements within your working environment.
· Manage supplier portfolios to establish structured supplier relationships. Establish and maintain Preferred Supplier Lists, and framework agreements with quality and safety integral to those agreements.
· Liaise with internal customers, other departments and suppliers providing customer service respect and professionalism. Provide the best service, we can, to our colleagues and customers.
· Maintain a balance between cost and site progress, communicating with suppliers and internal customers to advise on progress of activities to achieve on-time delivery and the correct specification.
· Build relationships with suppliers to achieve service and best value. Gather and interpret data and participate in internal customer or supply meetings.
· Liaise with Estimating and QS teams to ensure work is accurately priced and costed.
· Provide information / reports / data for management and corporate purposes.
· Work with your colleagues in a polite and respectful manner. Build strong relationships across the business.
· Manage and develop Assistant Buyers: agree short, medium, and long-term objectives, develop plans and monitor, review and evaluate performance. Coach and mentor them: build their confidence and develop their skills and knowledge through advice, guidance, and feedback.
· Promote equality, diversity, and human rights in working practices.
· Maintain standards of professional practice, ensuring your behaviour complies with organisational values.
· Undertake any other reasonable duties, commensurate with the level of the post.
· Agree the best material prices you can through strong negotiation. Achieve the required quality standards with suppliers for specific materials, equipment or services and contracts in a timely manner.
· Help maintain the levels of quality and service by managing non-conformances. Communicate with the suppliers, through agreed frameworks and regular reviews, the standards required.
· Maintain data records and files. Process all Multi Utility purchase orders on the Company’s Purchase order system, ensure all data files are updated with the appropriate information in accordance with the QA procedure. Use and develop technology to support the role.
· Assist stores in setting and managing minimum agreed stock levels, communicate, and regularly review with Project Managers to ensure these levels are correct. Pick out the requested materials daily to ensure projects are supplied and run smoothly.
· Manage the Materials Invoice Process Ensure all invoices are processed and queried / authorised in accordance with the Company’s authorisation procedure and returned to the accounts department by monthly deadlines. Update query spreadsheets and help to resolve any issues as quickly as possible. Look to improve any flaws in the companies or the supplier’s systems. Communicate with suppliers to ensure supplier accounts run smoothly.
· Be aware of your role and responsibility within the company and always aim to improve and develop.
· Promote the delivery of tangible environmental benefits.
· Research and communicate ways the Buying department can help reduce the companies carbon footprint. Communicate information from suppliers that can assist the company to innovate and improve.
Qualifications and Experience
· Commercial experience in a Construction procurement-based role with a comprehensive knowledge of the issues involved
· CIPS level 4 or working towards with evidence of up-to-date capabilities
Skills and knowledge
· Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent organisational, time management and planning skills
· Highly accurate with a good attention to detail
· Able to translate technical information
· Able to persuade and influence a variety of audiences using logic and reason
· Has a track record of building and maintaining good supplier relationships
· Can put systems in place that develop people at all levels creating an environment where people are motivated to achieve results
· A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products / internet and email
· A good understanding of safe working practices
· Positive commitment to safety
· Proactive and enthusiastic approach to work
· Able to prioritise and cope under pressure with multiple objectives
· Problem solver – can apply a range of analytical techniques to understand complex information, considering various options and their effects
· Strong commitment to customer service and business success
· Good communication skills, relationship builder
· Flexibility of approach
· Team player
· Conscientious, trustworthy, open and reliable
Salary and package
£28,000 - £32,000
Pension plus contributions
Office based role in North Manchester
Must have worked in a construction environment maybe in a builders merchants or in a procurement team in a previous role.
Must have experience in buying building materials
Please email to apply firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to discuss please ring on 07980 006 436
Buyer - Construction
- Location: England
- Salary: £28k - 33k per year
- Job Type:Permanent
Posted 26 days ago
- Sector: Construction
- Contact: Alex Smith
- Contact Email: Alexandra.Smith@Anderselite.com
- Contact Phone: 0161 832 7577
- Expiry Date: 22 June 2023
- Job Ref: 402155ASM
Job title - Buyer