Job Title: Business Development Manager (Pre-Contracts Manager)
Location: Birmingham / Midlands (With Adhoc travel North Of London)
Sector: Civil Engineering / Infrastructure: Power / Rail / Utilities (Construction Industry)
Start Date: Q2/Q3 20223
Job Type: Permanent Role
Salary: Circa £60,000 to £70,000 Per Annum + Package
**Salary negotiable on relevant experience and level**
Our client, a growing Construction Contractor, who operate within the Civil Engineering and Infrastructure sector, has an excellent opportunity available for an experienced Business Development Manager to join their team on a permanent basis, to generate business in line with company strategy, which includes creating and managing a sustainable pipeline of work on schemes including but not limited to large scale Power, Rail and Utility Construction projects.
This will be achieved by working with the Business Development Director, Regional Directors and the wider construction operations & business development team, to win additional business through both existing and new clients. The role would best suit candidates who have previously worked in the construction industry, on new build power, rail and utility projects (including but not limited to; state of the art Power Generation / Distribution / Transmission Plants; Underground, Overground and Light-Rail Infrastructure; Highways, Structures and Bridge schemes; through to pipeline, major utility diversion and flood defence schemes, all achieved through a variety of heavy civil engineering, MEICA, tunnels and cabling techniques).
You will work closely with a Business Development Director, Regional Directors/Managers and a Market Research team, to interpret and analyse market data, engaging with clients through the above noted sectors, to develop relationships and ultimately secure future workload. Additionally, you will work with key stakeholders, joint venture partner organisations, and other related parties, to plan and convert tenders/proposals into winning strategies/bids.
The ideal candidate will have strong, pre-existing relationships with key industry contacts, also being someone who strives to continually develop their customer base, expanding their network and contacts within this sector.
Daily duties with include but are not limited to:
Business development planning:
- Develop and lead sector and client business and marketing plans with a typical horizon of 1 to 5 years.
- Adjudicate the inclusion of new opportunities in the Win Work pipeline.
- Analyse the group customer base, to establish a common approach to retention and growth.
- Enhance regional and operational staff business development capabilities and work with them to achieve their winning works targets.
- Working with the research team, to develop and manage an up-to-date understanding of the macroeconomic environment over the agreed plan period, using the information to consider the implications for existing and new sectors.
- Develop an understanding of relevant sectors and how they are likely to respond.
- Undertake key research to understand the Business and project drivers of sectors, customers and potential opportunities.
- Build on an already established network of contacts across target sectors to bring opportunities into the business that can be converted to tenders.
- Be able to both take the lead on client relationships, but equally introduce to regional teams and ensure a robust client relationships management strategy/delivery.
- Engage with sectors and customers to anticipate potential business opportunities and implement actions that will position the company with differentiated advantage.
- Ensure effective management, completion and follow up of customer satisfaction surveys.
- Prepare programmes of external communication, customer engagement and brand promotion that will contribute to the achievement of company objectives.
- Organise and represent the company at key networking events to raise the company Profile.
- Facilitate client targets networking events (Industry or company led) to bring together the regional/operational team with our target client organisations in order to nurture client relationships and translate into real opportunities.
Key measures & targets:
- Market intelligence reports to be updated with the research team to track targets.
- Client engagement numbers against opportunities converted.
- New clients brought on.
- Customer Satisfaction undertaken and feedback to be reported monthly to the Business Development Director.
Successfully candidates will ideally have:
- Previously worked within construction industry, developing business on large power, rail and utility schemes.
- Experience in building relationships with key clients, to help deliver improve service, driving innovation.
- An existing network of contacts within the power/energy, rail and utility sectors, across the Midlands and Southern regions.
- The ability to seek and develop new relationships to achieve strategic business objectives.
- The ability to convert client relationships into opportunities for the business.
- Detailed knowledge of marketing and business development (strategic and tactical).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- The ability to contribute to development of strategy and take responsibility for delivering strategic objectives.
- The ability to recognise changing market forces, understanding how that may impact businesses (own or clients’).
For more information, or to apply for this role, please contact Tim Smyth on LinkedIn or via firstname.lastname@example.org