Job Title: Assistant Spatial Planner
Location: South-East England (Work From Home - Guildford / Maidstone / Basingstoke etc)
Sector: Highways, Infrastructure, Land Development Construction, Civil Engineering
Start Date: Q3/Q4 2022
Job Type: Permanent Role
Hours: 37 Hours Per Week.
Salary: Circa £33,000 to £37,000 Per Annum + Package (Holidays, 10% pension etc)
**Salary negotiable on relevant experience and level
We are currently recruiting an Assistant Spatial Planner for a Highways client (Government-owned company), who are looking for someone to join their company on a permanent basis. They have an exciting opportunity for someone to join their Highways team in the South-East region, where you will get the opportunity to work on large and prestigious Highway infrastructure projects across the region, supporting and gaining experience from Spatial Planners and other peers.
In the role, you will review planning applications so assess the implications of proposed work, working with internal colleagues and external framework suppliers to proactively ensure new developments are well located and planned for effectively. A key part of the role will entail stakeholder management, including liaising with local authorities and other associated 3rd parties (and the framework supply chain), to under client aspirations, identifying which works are necessary to help improve the transport / highways network.
Daily duties will include but are not limited to:
- Supporting SP (Spatial Planners) in collaborating with local planning authorities and other stakeholders, to develop local plans and strategic growth plans. (For Highways schemes / Assets).
- Discharging responsibilities as a statutory consultee within the planning system (With support from SP).
- Applying knowledge to evaluate the potential impact and implications of development proposals on the road / highway network, to enable a measured, robust and informed response.
- Ensuring that planned works are safe and that operations are efficient, escalating complex cases.
- You will contribute toward a measured, robust and informed client response, that ensures the safe and efficient operation of our road network is maintained.
- Preparing planning consultation responses and reports, providing support on more complex cases.
- Supporting ongoing liaison with key external stakeholders, through attendance at meetings and other planning or discussion forums.
- You will provide evidence-based and transparent guidance and advice on future local plans and share information on emerging strategies and future programmes for the region.
- Supporting internal staff attending public examinations and inquiries.
- Working with the internal teams to help identify and secure funding opportunities for improvements to the road / highway network, which supports development, for example through developer contributions and the Housing Infrastructure Fund.
Candidates will ideally:
- Have a prior understanding of spatial planning or town planning / transport planning, including associated legislation and development management.
- Be aware and have knowledge relevant statutory and regulatory responsibilities/standards/manuals, requirements and guidance.
- Have an appreciation of the importance of transport-related issues, to the spatial planning arena.
- A good understanding of transport appraisal techniques and guidance.
- Have relevant health & safety qualification/knowledge/experience.
- A desire to achieve additional qualifications / status – support offered in all areas of career development.
For more information or to apply for the role, please contact Tim Smyth on 0121 200 5520.