We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, talented and creative Urban Designer to join the Masterplanning team to work on medium and large scale residential development masterplans and layouts for UK projects. The team’s clients include, bespoke local developers and national house builders.
The successful candidate will be design orientated, have proven experience of working on UK residential schemes, masterplanning, layout and detailing housing developments in the UK, excellent business development and technical skills and strong team capability.
To have an impact in the role you will:
• Work on UK projects (predominantly for national housebuilders) and supporting with planning applications and masterplans for new communities formed through mixed use and housing-led developments of between 200 and 10,000 dwellings
• Conduct site, context and character appraisals to inform the design for new developments
• Develop exciting and deliverable visions for new settlements and extensions to existing towns
• Work up masterplan drawings, design strategies and detailed illustrations to support design principles
• Produce indicative layouts for either parts of or whole developments
• Produce urban design concepts supported by well-considered design rationales that take account of technical constraints
• Colour drawings by hand or using design software
• Support the production/testing of concepts for the arrangement of land uses on site
• Support the production of comprehensive design and access statements comprising of written and graphic outputs, taking responsibility for and delivering information packages including reports
• Assist the team to produce comprehensive Design Codes
• Overall responsibility for day-to-day running of jobs, including liaising with colleagues and briefing and mentoring junior team members
• Work alongside local communities and other stakeholders through collaborative design workshops and public exhibitions
• Support the generation of new client work, have an interest in networking opportunities and a willingness to develop good business development skills
• Assist to raise the teams profile and expand its client base
• Liaise with other technical professionals to ensure technical deliverability of projects
• Produce outstanding work to a specific brief and within tight deadlines and
• Contribute to the design process through creative thinking and concept development.
To succeed in the role, it is likely that you will have:
• Experience of working on large scale UK residential and mixed use development masterplans, including new settlements and urban extensions in an Urban Design or Masterplanning role
• Either an MA or Postgraduate Diploma in Urban Design and a genuine enthusiasm for creating new high quality and sustainable communities
• Experience within an Urban Design or Masterplanning role in a consultancy environment
• The ability to manage projects and coordinate the production of Design and Access Statements
• A good attention to detail, strategic in approach with the ability to see the bigger picture
• Present to a variety of audiences, including clients and large external mutli-disciplinary consultancy teams
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup and Microsoft Packages
• The ability to produce high quality hand drawings
• The ability to coordinate large amounts of technical information
• Excellent team working skills, with the ability to lead workshops and develop consensus amongst multiple stakeholder groups
• The ability to work independently, managing your own time and workload to meet deadlines.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our growing team and in return our commitment is to engage and develop potential and reward contribution and performance. Excellent salary and benefits package to suit as well as flexible/ Hybrid working.