My Client, together with their partners Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and Trafford Metropolitian Borough Council (TMBC), are working in partnership to deliver environmental and infrastructure services for Trafford.
The partnership, formed in 2015, delivers commercial and domestic waste collections, street cleaning, grounds maintenance, highways services, bridges, road safety, street lighting and furniture, drainage and property services.
They maintain approximately 800 km of roads, 17,000 km footways, 150 structures, 32,000 street columns and illuminated signs and 37 parks, in addition to collecting waste from 97,000 households.
My Clients account provides the local highway authority function and the delivery tool for both TMBC and TfGM schemes. It presently comprises 32 engineers, technicians and support staff, organised into four teams dealing with Traffic, Development Control & Drainage, Highway Maintenance and Highway structures.
The team is growing due to successful bids and the resulting increased workload. The account has a significant forward work programme, additionally Amey, on behalf of Trafford Council has been successful in winning a number of high profile bids, as part of the Mayors Challenge Fund (MCF) this success has resulted in the need to recruit staff to assist in delivery of a range of large often complex projects.
The MCF aims to kick start the delivery of the GM Cycling and Walking Commissioner’s Made to Move report, and continue Greater Manchester’s journey to becoming a city region where walking and cycling are the natural choices for shorter journeys, as set out in Greater Manchesters Transport Strategy 2040. Also, supporting this is The Bee Network infrastructure proposal, which aims to create the UK’s largest cycling and walking network.
Projects the account is involved in are detailed below including:
• Greater Manchester Mayor’s Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund projects
• Traffic management schemes
• Maintenance and improvement of highway structures
• Integrated transport, public realm and road safety improvement schemes
• Carrington Relief Road
• Action Transport Fund
• Greater Manchester Growth Deals
• Flood Management schemes
• Highway drainage improvement schemes
• Highway structural maintenance schemes
• Highway improvements funded through developer contributions S278/106
Due to the increased workload, they are seeking to recruit a Senior Traffic Engineer. The successful candidate will support our continued growth and increasing workload through the production of civil designs, and provide a unique chance to join a highly skilled highways design team.
This is an excellent opportunity to assist the Principal Engineer with leading the Traffic and Transportation team working on Traffic asset management and the Traffic capital programmes for TfGM and Trafford. You will take a leading role in the development and delivery of the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund, TfGM Growth deals, Traffic Management schemes, Integrated transport, public realm and road safety improvement schemes , delivering project and initiatives, to the wider community and stakeholders.
What will this role involve:
• Manage multi discepilnary teams to deliver a wide variety of complex projects
• To have an proven knowledge of Community Engagement and how it can be utilised in a Traffic & Transportation environment
• Prepare technical reports for both internal and external purposes.
• Provide technical support including project advice and design assessments
• Prepare / Check project design briefs, health and safety
• Manage, monitor and report financial and resources stage assessments for Senior Management and Clients
• Prepare and develop bid opportunities with partners and stakeholders
• Preparation of solutions at various design stages of a project preparation of drawings, reports, specifications and estimates
• Support and assist in planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances, including all gateway controls.
• Reporting back to DfT /TfGM and other Stakeholders, supporting programme development and bids
• Develop and deliver of a programme of works for the Client, managing all stages.
• Undertake technical work checks and approvals of drawings, Health and Safety packages and communications programmes
• Resolve technical problems and issues to support the delivery of projects or design objective
• Resolve enquiries from Councillors, the public and stakeholders to support the delivery of the contract, projects or design objectives
• Assist with continuous improvement in the services provided by the team
• Assist less experienced colleagues in ensuring compliance with pre-defined standards
Who are we looking for:
You will have attained an HNC/BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering or similar and be working towards or have attained Chartered status of the Institution of Civil Engineers / Institution of Highways and Transportation or similar.
The applicant will need to demonstrate they have the key skills/knowledge in the following areas:
• Demonstrate an understanding of Civil Engineering design to DMRB, HCWH, Standards and Sewers for Adoption
• Experience in working on both Local Authority and Capital maintenance and /or developer-led schemes as part of a multi-disciplinary design team
• Experience in Policy and report writing development, Highway Capital programme
• Ability to undertake site surveys, including topographical and asset data gathering.
• Knowledge of traffic and / or highway design products, standards and protocols for scheme development and delivery
• Stakeholder management.
• Budget monitoring and project management
• Demonstrated experience in a client-facing position.
• Understanding of street works permit schemes
• Knowledge of Highways Act and Road Traffic Regulation Act
• Understanding of CDM Regulations.
• Development of Safe systems of work and risk assessments
• Competitive salary
• Exceptional development and progression plan
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
• Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
• Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental, and childcare vouchers
• Flexible approach to working and work life balance
If your skills and experience match the description above, please apply now for immediate attention.