An exciting position for a Senior Environmental Advisor to join a major joint venture has just become available. You will have the amazing opportunity to work on one of the most significant infrastructure projects the UK has undertaken in a generation, Highspeed Two (HS2).
You will be the Senior Environmental Advisor, forming part of the Environment and Sustainability team, to support the delivery of the construction and handover phase of the HS2 Main Works Civils Contract.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented on the project.
- Provide Environmental compliance advice to various team, including construction, procurement and subcontractors and suppliers on the practical implementation of contract policies, processes and requirements. Identify and provide training and upskilling required to fulfill environmental responsibilities of various delivery team roles.
- Undertake basic managerial duties, assigning tasks and providing support to Environmental Advisors.
- Identify and communicate environmental and sustainability risks and mitigations, assisting with the review and undertaking writing of plans, risk assessments and method statements. Providing critical on-site presence and advice to the delivery team.
- Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, particularly reducing Carbon and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and BREEAM/CEEQUAL ‘Excellent’ rating. Drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
- Provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with the obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions. Maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, Natural England, EA, Thames Water and others as required and directed.
- Ensure works are in line with the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks. Monitor and collect data to aid reporting against performance against targets. Undertake a program of inspections and audits, including targeted risk monitoring, both on site and within the supply chain. Assist with any external audits, parent company, client and certification bodies were required.
Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
- Environmental advisory experience in the environment and construction industry, ideally projects in rail, highways or tunnelling, preferrable.
- Degree or equivalent in Environmental Sciences or suitably applicable fields. Associate or Practitioner Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and internal auditing experience.
- Good organisation and time management skills, able to work independently and off their own initiative. Confident speaker with experience preparing and delivering presentations.
- Demonstrates a passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and a desire to positively influence and develop those around them