We are delighted to be partnering with UK Power Networks to find an Innovation Workstream Lead to join their rapidly expanding and supportive Innovation Team, on a permanent basis.
Why join UKPN?
UKPN is proud to be the most reliable, most innovative and lowest price electricity distribution group and have been successful in winning around £90m of innovation funding over the last 8 years, with more bids in the pipeline!!
The purpose of this role involves scoping, launching and running innovation projects and trials, or delivering major parts of our existing projects, and driving them through to implementation. You will be involved in cutting edge innovation, mainly funded by the Network Innovation Allowance (NIA) and Network Innovation Competition (NIC).
This role will focus on the technical power system aspects of innovation projects.
Working within this dedicated and diverse team of 30 Innovators, you will help UK Power Networks prepare for the transition to a low carbon future and a smart flexible energy system, maintain a reliable and cost-effective electricity network and reduce the cost of connecting new customers.
To name a few innovation projects UKPN are involved in includes:
* Active Response - a revolutionary way of managing spare electricity network capacity by testing a responsive, automated electricity network that reconfigures itself constantly, moving spare capacity to where the demand is
* Powerful CB - first in the world demonstration of a fault current limiting circuit breaker that enables the connection of more distributed generation to electricity distribution networks
* Optimise Prime - world's biggest trial of commercial EVs seeking to understand and minimise the impact that the electrification of commercial vehicles will have on distribution networks
Nature and Scope:
The role of Workstream Leads is to contribute to the development and delivery of a diverse innovation project portfolio which aligns with UK Power Networks' Innovation strategy and prepares the network for the low carbon transition. Though they will mainly be attached to one of the NIC flagship projects and lead the delivery of the associated technical workstreams.
You will also take a weight of responsibility to ensure that the business is prepared to implement the necessary changes to adopt successful innovation. You will therefore need to demonstrate a track record in recognising and tackling both technical and non-technical issues associated with the acceptance of new technology and will work closely with colleagues in order to establish new standards, engineering instructions, training materials etc. necessary to provide the solution as a 'finished package' to the business.
The Workstream Lead will need project management skills appropriate to managing small sub-contracted studies through to significant trials involving staff safety, new product approval, design approval, procurement and scheduling issues. The role can accommodate individuals who are seeking to make technical project management their career, as well as those for whom becoming a recognised subject matter expert is their goal.
* Deliver major parts of large flagship projects reporting to the Innovation Project Lead and/or deliver innovation projects as a Project Manager with a portfolio reaching up to £5m per annum
* Support the delivery of innovation projects delivered by the business as innovation buddy
* Provide technical expertise to innovation projects and be able to understand and examine the principles behind current engineering practice
* Understand and articulate robust challenges to existing solutions and support the development of innovative processes to improve problem-solving capabilities. Jointly accountable for achievement of collaborative efficiency targets across relevant programmes and projects, ensuring that a lower cost design and installation approach is developed
* Manage and develop a good working relationship with a diverse range of suppliers and external stakeholders at all levels within respective organisations. Be able to influence using interpersonal skills and challenge any behaviours inconsistent with UK Power Networks' ethos both internally and externally
* Identify and implement opportunities for improvement within existing innovation projects or the wider business
* Develop innovative ideas into projects, including securing stakeholder buy-in and manage complex commercial, regulatory and technical interactions
* Prepare and present business cases, including robust market and/or data analysis
* Engage with other key UK Power Networks business functions such as Asset Management, Network Operations, IS and Regulation
* Represent the department within external working groups, meetings, events and conferences
* Ensure that all appropriate regulatory, statutory and company standards are met
* Coach junior staff
* Responsible for safety of staff by ensuring necessary training has been undertaken and use of staff with company-approved competencies
If you feel that this position you feel you are qualified for and is of interest, then please do apply.
This is an excellent time to join the business, and the successful candidate will receive an excellent salary and package, and will also benefit from working with a very supportive and motivated team within a well-established DNO / DSO, who will provide a great foundation for you to progress your career.
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.