Environmental Manager - Chelmsford - major civil engineering project - tier one main construction contractor with excellent training and career development prospects - £55k-£60k+package.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Work with the SHE Manager and wider team to develop, manage, implement and monitor the Environmental Management Plan which meets the requirements of the company ISO14001:2015 accredited System. The plan must also take account of the environmental key performance indicators set in the contract by the client
• Provide operational and functional management advice on the practical implementation of the company’s Environmental policies and processes including external stakeholders such as customers if necessary.
• Develop Environmental Management plans and coordination of review to drive continual improvement.
• Assist in the identification of required environmental consents, permits and exemptions such as discharge consents, abstraction licenses and environmental permits. A schedule must be maintained for all consents, permits and exemptions.
• Ensure assurance processes are in place to monitor compliance with these permits and that appropriate monitoring is undertaken and recorded.
• Lead on the implementation of green principals across the contract as part of the SHE strategy in addition to the implementation of best practice principles across the business including stakeholders such as the supply chain.
• Coordinate within the Contract team to ensure actions are undertaken to meet the requirements of the
• Influence the design (where applicable) and construction teams to innovate and use best practice to minimise carbon emissions.
• Provide operational and functional management with advice on the prevention of environmental incidents, environmental protection and pollution prevention.
• Lead on the collation data for environmental KPI’s including any client specific measures and put in place plans to meet objectives and targets.
• Ensure biodiversity impacts are measured and the Contract team are aiming to achieve a net-gain in biodiversity by working with the Client, Designers and Contract teams.
• Establish, manage and maintain relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, EA, Natural England etc.
• Assist with and undertake SHE Advisory Visits, Inspections and Audits where required of operational sites. Participate, as requested in Group SHE audits.
• Provide guidance on the preparation of environmental studies and assessments and work Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
• Undertake and/or assist with the monitoring, analysis of and reporting of SHE performance. Utilise data to highlight areas of further consideration, evaluation and intervention.
• Assist and/or manage the investigation of environmental incidents and environmental near misses.
• Prepare and facilitate the communication of SHE training/ briefings. This will allow upskilling of the Operational Team and the supply chain partners.
• Promote best practice, capture best practice and ensure it is fed-back into the business.
• Maintain own level of knowledge and competency in relations to Environmental Management and responsibilities including appropriate qualifications and professional membership
Environmental Degree or Masters or equivalent (NVQ L5 or higher)
PIEMA or equivalent
Relevant environmental management experience in construction/utilities
• Experience of delivering presentations, training etc.
• The ability to thrive in pressure situations.
• The ability to empathise, communicate and influence stakeholders and the Contract Team.
• Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
• A passion of environment improvement and Sustainable outcomes.
• Be able to work on own initiative.