Environmental Advisor - construction, civil engineering and rail projects - Manchester (regional role covering projects across the North-West) - £40k-£45k+car, pension, healthcare, bonus scheme
Job Purpose Summary: Advising on legal, client and company requirements and procedures on projects to meet the requirements of key environmental objectives and targets
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Assist in the project application of the Integrated Business Management System to meet the requirements of ISO 14001: 2015 and ISO 50001
- Head advisor for environmental issues on projects including design and construction stages
- Integrate and Manage contractors working on the project under Principal Contractor Role
- Manage early schemes through the Environment Impact Assessment process to obtain planning permission prior to works and satisfy planning requirements
- Advise projects to ensure that all identified Risks and Opportunities are managed
- Principal advisor for implementation of environmental sustainability standards on the projects including BREEAM and CEEQUAL
- Liaise with stakeholders to obtain licenses and consents for individual contracts and ensure compliance with these at all times.
- Provide support to the project teams to ensure all Management Plans, and associated documentation are produced in accordance with the project programme
- Deliver environment and sustainability training to all levels within the project team
- Carry out key project environmental inspections/audits
- Regularly review the environmental files, to ensure correct completion and filing of records in accordance with the project programme.
- Review ongoing environmental issues on projects to make sure work is being completed in accordance with the relevant standards, legislation and contract requirements. Ensuring environmental minimum requirements are met with the adoption and sharing of best practise and lessons learned shared across the business/industry.
- Act as a role model for the client’s vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with the client’s ways of working. Encourage and support others to do so.
- Actively pursue staff to close out actions and supply requirements.
- Manage subcontractors and specialist consultants to ensure their compliance with project requirements
- Carry out incident investigations to assess root causes of incidents and share lessons learned within the business.
- Ensuring accurate reporting of periodic Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Carry out inspections, audits and third party audits on suppliers.
- Represent the Client and business at public engagement sessions
- Liaise with the community to look for engagement opportunities and mediate issues
- Degree in an Environmental discipline or IEMA associate or foundation certification
- Practitioner member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment.
- An effective communicator
- Organised with good time management skills
- Able to work on their own initiative
- Enthusiastic, motivated, hardworking and conscientious.
- Computer literate with excellent report writing skills