Job Title: Design Manager HS2 (Design Coordinator's Considered)
Location: Crewe (HS2 Phase 2 Works - Midlands travel involved)
Sector: HS2 Phase 2, Highways, Enabling Work, Environmental, Infrastructure
Start Date: Q2 2021
Job Type: Permanent Role
Salary: Circa £55,000 to £65,000 Per Annum + Package
**Salary negotiable on relevant experience and level**
Our client, an established and leading Civil Engineering and Construction contractor, has an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager and a Design Coordinator, to join their team on a permanent basis. The role will be based out of their project office in Crewe and the majority of this role will entail working on HS2 Phase 2 Early Works Packages, as well as working on other associated Civil Engineering projects. Due to this, we are ideally looking for candidates who have worked on Major Infrastructure or Highways Projects, valued in the region of £50 Million to £100 Million, who are happy to travel between Crewe and Birmingham, as required.
The role would suit an established Design Manager who can lead design activities on upcoming projects, from work winning, through to pre-construction and delivery phases, managing external design consultants, liaising with their teams to provide technical project support, as well as providing technical support to the operational delivery teams, ensuring that efficient, cost effective, risk adverse and safe design solutions are delivered. (We are also happy to consider Design Coordinators or Engineers for this role, who wish to make a move into this position, with base salary matching level and relevant experience).
Typical works involved within the HS2 team and Civils department include highways, environmental and structures work, inclusive of new road layouts, junctions / roundabouts and other early infrastructure works. Furthermore, the role would suit candidates from an engineering background, who have a technical understanding of construction engineering activities, being able to assess the feasibility and buildability of design.
Daily duties for the Design Manager role with include but are not limited to:
* Managing the development and implementation of design proposals, ensuring they meet client requirements, inclusive of budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer
* The design should:
o Safety in construction, implementation of CDM, leading management of Principle Designer.
o Deliver design for delivery of quality and sustainability targets
o Identify, develop, and lead delivery of technical opportunities, that support cost reduction, improving quality, enhance safety, improve customer experience or reduce risk
o Enabling innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community
o Lead the development and implementation of the project BIM strategy
* Managing Design consultants programme & deliverables
* Responsible for the technical approvals, ensuring that all necessary consents and approvals are in place to enable procurement and construction to be undertaken in accordance with the contract programme
* Collaborating with the client and technical approval authority
* Providing advice and guidance on the "buildability" of the design proposals
* Liaising with all statutory bodies/authorities as required (town planning, building control and utility services)
* Supporting the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required
* Leading the development and management of the design deliverables and programme:
o Ensuring there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
o Leading gate reviews activities, ensuring timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other Design/Work Winning team members as required
o Co-ordinating & producing design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation for project and contractual requirements, reporting progress against programme
* Leading the implementation of BIM protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
* Considering Lean construction techniques, in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction
* Ensuring that learning and best practice is captured from the bid/project, with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the wider business
* Proactively contributing to the Risk and Value Management process
Candidates will ideally have:
* A relevant qualification in Civil Engineering, Design (or similar), (such as a Degree, HNC, HND etc)
* A professional member of a body such as ICE (Advantageous)
* Previous experience working as a Design Manager or Design Coordinator on large scale construction / infrastructure projects (ideally £50 - £100 Million
* A significant knowledge of Civil Engineering, having come from an on-site background
* A strong working knowledge of NEC contracts, CDM regulations, BIM, Lean principles etc
* Previous experience managing external design consultants
* A valid CSCS Card (Advantageous)
For more information, or to apply for this role, please contact Tim Smyth on LinkedIn or via
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website.